- 1/4 C plus 2 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, halved
- 2 sm serrano chile peppers or 1 sm jalapeno, halved
- 1/2 C loosely packed cilantro
- 1/3 C freshly squeezed lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 1/4 lb)
- 12 corn tortillas (6″ size)
Heat 1/4 cup of the oil in small skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and chile peppers and cook, stirring frequently, until just brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Process with cilantro, lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and black pepper in blender or food processor until smooth.
Put chicken in shallow dish and spread half the garlic mixture over all sides of chicken. .
Return skillet to medium heat and add remaining tablespoon oil. Lift each breast and let excess marinade drip off. Discard extra marinade. Add chicken to hot pan and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Brown on one side, about 5 minutes, then flip and finish cooking, 3 or 4 minutes longer.
Wrap tortillas in damp paper towels and microwave on high 1 minute. Remove paper towels and keep tortillas warm. Cut chicken across the grain into 1/4″ slices and toss with onion in pan. Serve with tortillas.